An air cooler is one of the most in-demand home appliances in India today during summer seasons because it can ease the drastic heat around. Today We are going to Review the Best Window Air Cooler Brands in India.
A window air cooler is a type of air cooler that can be fixed on the window or comes with a vent to be attached to the window to suck in air from outside the room.
How Does Air-cooler Work?
An air cooler is also commonly referred to as evaporative cooler or a swamp cooler. As the name suggests an air cooler cools the warm air and make the room temperature drop to an extent, here is how air coolers work.The basic principle of the working of an air cooler is the simple evaporation of water. An air cooler has an inbuilt fan in it that rotates when the cooler is switched on and this, in turn, sucks the air from the backside of the air cooler and this air is delivered in the front. But, the air delivered in the front, undergoes some changes and this happensbetween the sucking and delivery process, the air sucked in is passed through a porous material inside the air cooler this porous material is often referred to as skin or honeycomb. This skin or honeycomb has water content in them, when the hot air sucked in from the backside of the air cooler passes through the skin or honeycomb, the water on the skin/honeycomb absorbs the heat from the air and evaporates, now the air that comes out of the skin/honeycomb will comparatively have lower temperature than in air sucked in, this air is then blown out of the air cooler through the front. The water content in the skin/comb comes from the water reservoir inbuilt in the air cooler; the water from this reservoir is pumped to the skin/air cooler with the help of a small inbuilt water pump in the device.
With all this being told, air coolers have both advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Air Coolers:
- Consumes comparatively less energy than air conditioners
- Air coolers environment-friendly and do not emit any harmful chemicals
- Air coolers do not use any chemicals for its cooling process
- An air cooler is portable and can be considered as a good replacement for air conditioners under some circumstances
- An air cooler is cheaper than an air conditioner.
Disadvantages of Air Cooler:
- Air coolers require frequent maintenance
- Air coolers can be noisy and after long use, the device can get inefficient.
Now, there is something you should know, air coolers come in different types on the basis of their capacity and on the basis of their portability.
- Tower air cooler
- Window air cooler – This type of air cooler can be fixed on the window, it is just like the window air conditioners. One of the advantages of window air cooler is that it sucks air from outside the room and then cools the air and delivers it into the room. A window air cooler is the most efficient type of air cooler.
- Desktop air cooler
These are some of the common types of air coolers based on the portability type.
Here are some of the factors to be considered while purchasing a window air cooler in India.
- Type of window air cooler – There are two types of window air coolers available on the Indian market today.
- Personal window air cooler/room air cooler – This type of window air cooler is best efficient for small and medium-sized rooms, the water reservoir capacity of this type air cooler is between maximum 20-30 litres. Personal air coolers use huge fans for air delivery.
- Desert window air cooler – This type of window air cooler is the best efficient for large rooms and the water reservoir capacity of this type of window air cooler is between maximum 30 – 60 litres. Desert air cooler uses blowers for air delivery.
So, while purchasing keep in mind to purchase the cooler according to the room area. If the room is too big you can consider buying desert window air coolers, Sometimes if one desert window air cooler is not enough, then consider buying more than one, however, practically buying awindow air cooler is more cost effective than buying an air conditioner.
- Type of cooling pad – Acooling pad or skin is one of the most important parts of an air cooler. It is the key part through which hot air passes; there are two types of cooling pads that is incorporated in an air cooler.
- Honey comb – This type of cooling pad resembles a honey comb, this cooling pad is made of cellulose material and is comparatively more efficient and costly than other type of cooling pad.
- Aspen wood wool – This type of cooling pad is made of wood shaving synthetic fibre that resembles grass. This type of cooling pad is comparatively less efficient and cheaper than other types of cooling pads.
Now, you might think why it is important considering the type of cooling pad as a factor while purchasing an air cooler, one of the main reason is because a cooling pad will get dirty and has to be cleaned every once in a while, but after a few cycles of cleaning and using the cooling pads will prove inefficient. Under suchcircumstances, the user will have to replace the cooling pad with a brand new one. So, always prefer purchasing an air cooler with honey comb cooling pads.
- Size – Like mentioned in the beginning, there are two basically types of window air coolers available on the Indian market right now. Personal and desert window air cooler and the type of cooler to be purchaseddepend on the size of the room. Every window air cooler available on the market today will have a size description that is declared by the manufacturer. So, while purchasing always check the room size specification declared by the manufacturer of the product.
- Brand – Today, the Indian market has thousands of models of air coolers. Each model different/same specification and features. There are two types of manufacturers, the generic and the reputed brands. It is always better to prefer purchasing an air cooler from a reputed brand because the quality of the parts incorporated in a branded window air cooler will be comparatively of better quality than what generic air cooler provides.
- Blower speed/fan speed – The blower speed/fan speed is a key factor to beconsidered while purchasing an air cooler in India, the speed of the blower or the fan is the factor that actually decides the air flow and capacity of an air cooler and the range at which the air cooler can deliver the cooled air. So, while purchasing window air cooler check the blower/fan speed. PS: prefer devices with medium fan/blower speed because devices with maximum speed will be comparatively noisy than other types.
- Oscillating Feature – This is one of the most common features found in air coolers. This feature is important because this feature alone is responsible for spreading the air in different directions rather than in one direction. There are some devices that do not come with this feature, avoid such window air coolers and prefer buying air coolers with an oscillating feature.
Considering all the features mentioned above, here is the list of best window air coolers available on the Indian market right now. Remember that these devices were selected on the basis of customer reviews and product reviews only.
- Bajaj MD2020 54 Ltrs Room Air Cooler (White) – For Medium Room
The Bajaj MD2020 54 Ltrs Room Air Cooler from the brand Bajaj is one of the best window coolers available on the Indian market right now. This product comes with 54-liters and is ideal for medium sized room with a maximum size of 400 sq ft. The cooling pad in this device is wood wool type and the manufacturer has placed cooling pads on 3 sides of the cooler for better cooling efficiency. The device also has 3 way speed control and 4 way oscillation. This product consumes only 230-watts power and comes with castor wheel for easy mobility. Buy From Amazon
- Cello Swift 50 Ltrs Window Air Cooler (White)
The Cello Swift 50 Ltrs Window Air Cooler from the brand Cello is one of the best window room heaters available on the Indian market right now. This product comes with 50-liters water reservoir and is efficient to cool a room of area 700 Sq. Ft. This device consumes 200-watts power and comes with a 1-year warranty. One of the important things about this cooler is that it comes with wood wool cooling pad. The product is designed for cross-ventilation. This device can give airflow up to 45 Ft. Buy From Amazon
- Cello Artic 50 Ltrs Window Air Cooler (White)
The Cello Artic 50 Ltrs Window Air Cooler from the brand Cello is one of the best window room coolers available on the Indian market right now. This product comes with 50-litre water reservoir capacity and is efficient for cooling a room size of 800 Sq. Ft. The Cello Artic 50 Ltrs Window Air Cooler consumes 185-watts power. The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty on the product. This is a mega-size cooler that comes with an international design and is designed for cross-ventilation function. Buy From Amazon
- Symphony Window 41 Air Cooler, Off White
The Symphony Window 41 Air Cooler from the brand Symphony is one of the best window air coolers available on the Indian market right now. This device consumes 110-watts power and also come with a 50-Hertz frequency. The whole device is made of plastic and comes with a water reservoir of 40-litre capacity. This product has an air throw capacity of 10-meters. Buy From Amazon
- Voltas VA W50MW 50ltr Window Cooler
The Voltas VA W50MW 50ltr Window Cooler from the brand Voltas is one of the best window room coolers available on the Indian market right now. This device is sleek and compact and comes from the reputed brand Voltas. One of the notable things about this device is that it comes with multi-directional oscillation feature. The device comes with 1-year warranty on the product. Buy From Amazon
A room cooler is an essential home appliance at summer season. All the products listed above are the best on the market today. if you are planning to purchase a window air cooler, consider the factors mentioned above.